Friday, June 22, 2012

Week Two - Initial Concerns at SHL


Week 2: What concerns do you/did you have at the beginning of the externship?  What did you do or what help did you have to overcome those concerns? 

I did not have very many concerns when I started my externship. I was very excited about the opportunity to experience a career in laboratory science. That being
My Concerns:
  • Content knowledge  - my current level of expertise compared to employees at SHL
  • Correlating content knowledge to elementary standards  - Are there avenues for connecting the real-world to elementary science/math lessons?
  • Networking with faculty – collaborating with faculty to discuss my goals for my externship
Addressing Concerns:
  • Communicating clearly with faculty - I tried to be explicit when speaking with SHL employees about my goals for the externship. I want to observe and participate in the real-world problems that they are face daily. Additionally, I want to generate ideas to connect their research to the classroom. When talking with most of the faculty, they seemed very supportive of the goals of the externship program. During my training, one of the statistics I learned was in the year 2020, there will be a need for 250,000 additional laboratory scientists. The scientists at the lab recognize the imperative need for students to come out of school prepared and motivated for STEM careers. In one of my discussions, we determined that my class of fifth graders will be career-ready in ten years (year 2022). I am excited that I have the chance to explain the exciting opportunities available in laboratory science career.
  • Correlating content knowledge to elementary standards – During my first few weeks it is evident that a lot of the information and data is at a much higher level than what my students receive at the elementary level. However, I am noticing that several tests will correlate with concepts my students do learn about. For example, earlier this week I assisted in analysis of products containing lead. The test specifically read the percentage of lead in the sample. The technology used is designed to identify the lead compound as it passes through the flame. One standard my students need to accomplish is that materials are identified by their physical properties. Typically, this is done through observable traits (color, shape, form, etc.) However, by fifth grade the students are prepared to go more in depth. I could include information, pictures, short videos on using the technology at the lab to recognize samples based on their properties.
  •  Content knowledge – One of the things I have enjoyed during my externship is having the opportunity to learn content knowledge and lab procedures from the analysts. I am learning new information every day, and I have found the best way to increase my level of understanding is to not be afraid to ask questions. Most of the time, I am able to make the connections needed to understand the process and information. The experience has definitely increased my desire to return to school and consider a master’s degree in science or science education.

No comments:

Post a Comment