Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Newborn Screening

One of the services SHL offers is testing all newborns from Iowa, North Dakota, and South Dakota for over forty rare, genetic disorders.The newborn screening process is highly time-sensitive in order to protect the newborns from rare birth defects caused by both parents passing on a recessive gene for the trait. The defect could cause disease, developmental delays, or even death if left untreated. I have been able to learn about several tests the analysts use to identify the diseases.

Fortunately, if the defect is identified in the newborn screening process there are treatments or interventions that can help the newborn to live a healthy life. For example, one of the disorders is known as Galactosemia (Galt). People with Galt have difficulty digesting galactose (type of sugar) found in dairy products. If left untreated the disease could cause mental disability, liver problems, and can lead to death. The good news is that once the screen identifies the disease, newborns are immediately placed on a galactose-free diet can live relatively normal lives.

I'm beginning to plan how I can incorporate all of this fascinating information back to my classroom and students. I believe the most natural fit will be to embed the information within  a genetics unit.  I plan on introducing the unit by having students learn about DNA. One of the analysts provided me with a lab that extracts DNA from kiwis. After investigating genetics and heredity, I also plan on teaching about the importance of newborn screening and the real-life example of how genetic traits can be carried on through recessive genes. I'm still considering ways to incorporate newborn screening into a problem-based unit. However, I believe I may challenge my students to consider ways they could increase the public awareness of the newborn screening process and demonstrate how the disorders transferred genetically.

A big thank you to Mike and the rest of the Newborn Screening crew. All of you certainly impressed me with your level of expertise and ability to explain the process. I am thankful Iowa provides this service!

No comments:

Post a Comment